Sunday, July 27, 2008

The Many Faces of Hanky





Hanky had an allergic reaction Saturday morning. He and DH spent the morning in the ER. His fingers and toes swelled like little sausages. He's on Zyrtec and Prednisolone now, and we're following up with the doc later this week.

I'm so bummed. I did everything "right". The child never had a drop of formula. Hell, he even lived with a dog for the first 4 months of his life. All of the good anti-allergen things were done, and he still reacts mysteriously to something that we can't immediately identify. It's frustrating.

He is also weaned. I nursed him for 3 years, 3 months, and 21 days. With his reaction, and the fact that I would have to eliminate a substantial number of things from my diet to continue to nurse him, in addition to the fact that I've been looking for an opportunity to move forward in our mother child relationship beyond the nursing dyad, I decided, with DH's support, to go ahead and wean. While this is not the circumstance I would have chosen, it is what it is, and he has accepted it with minimal fuss, and we're ready to continue on our journey together. I love my dear boy.




The 3 Year Breastfeeding Milestone Award

1 comment:

CNH said...

Wow. I cannot believe you're just nursing one again. Whoa. What's that like, again? I can't remember....

Congrats to H on weaning! What a big boy he is. :)