Monday, June 14, 2004

My weekend...

Friday morning B and I woke up to the dogs barking. A lot. We keep N's blinds open in his room (where he has yet to spend one single night LOL), and B went in and saw someone pass the windows. We were getting ready to go out of town, so we went ahead and left anyway. B figured it was probably the meter-reader. I wonder how daft said meter-reader is to open our back gate with two dogs barking angrily at him. Shadow is a lab/retriever mix and Bear is a chow/retriever mix. Neither of them are particularly large, but both sound enormous when cheesed off. Thus, we have not one, but two, yes two Beware of Dog signs in obvious places, one of which is (gasp) the back gate. I mean, what would have happened if one of the dogs had attacked him? They're gentle in general, but also protective of us. What if he had maced my dogs? That would not be sitting at all well with me or B. We called the energy company and they confirmed that it was indeed a meter-reader. But still, I'd be really worried if it weren't. Gee whiz, I'd feel like anyone could just walk into our yard. Hopefully the dogs have more sense than that.

We spent our first evening out of town with my ILs. Nice people, but very set in their ways, and they think of me as the hippie freak who perverted their son. First, it was me planning to breastfeed, then it was me wanting to give birth at a birth center, then that changed to home, then it was me planning on breastfeeding past the first few weeks, then it was deciding not to circumcise N. That still hasn't gone over well, in spite of it being
a)not our penis
b)not medically indicated
c)not spiritually indicated
Apparently, our son will have locker room problems for the rest of his life, he will never find a girl to love him, and will have a hard time in general because God told Abraham to circumcise therefore we should all do it (keep in mind, my ILs seem to cling to that particular instruction and no other), and he will constantly have a nasty infection due to having all of that extra skin. Never mind that the circ'ed little boys in his playgroup have each had either an infection, or problems with the skin adhering.
That was a tangent, sorry. Being around the ILs for a weekend tends to bring out any and all frustration I have with unsolicited advice.
Anyway, we were at dinner, N got hungry, and I was preparing to nurse him when MIL asks when I'm going to wean him. I said, "I'll probably think about it around two, but we'll see when that birthday gets here. I'm pretty comfortable with child-led weaning, so it could be longer." I thought the woman's eyes were going to pop out of her head. She shouts, "TWO?!?!?!?" at the top of her lungs, and everyone in Applebee's seems to be immediately very interested in their dinners. B and I nod, and then she says, "And what led what?" B explains child-led weaning to her, and she just shakes her head and says that she thought I'd only do it for the first year, and rolls her eyes. So that was my fun until we got back to their place.

No comments: