Sunday, June 06, 2004

Ugh.

I am overwhelmed at the moment. N is asleep, and I must have sat there for 5 minutes just watching him breathe. My friend A lost one of her two month old twins to SIDS last month, and another mom I see on various message boards has just had to call hospice on her 7 week old. I can't imagine, and I don't want to. It's so, so hard. It seems like bad things are happening to babies all over the place, and if it can happen to these babies it can happen to mine. I know N's risk of SIDS is extremely low (large baby at birth, 10 months old now, singleton, etc), but fear is an irrational monster and it doesn't care who it gets to. I'm usually pretty good about being able to lay my fear and anxiety aside, but there are times, like today, that it bugs me. It bugs me a lot. N, my mom, dad, brother, and I are flying to Canada later this summer to see my grandparents. N is their first great-grandchild, and will very likely be the only one they see, as they are both well into their 80s, and quite frankly, old. So anyway, I'm usually nervous about flying, but this time even more so. It'll be the first time I've flown since 9/11. The last time I flew was the week before that, when I thought to myself (after watching some movie about Pan Am 103) while settling in, 'It's ok, no one hijacks American planes anyway.' Needless to say, my faith in my own powers of reassurance has been shaken pretty severely. We will also probably be flying on an 11th, and pardon me for being anxious, but with the news saying that a major attack is predicted this summer, and the 11th being a date 'they' seem to have a habit of picking to destroy things on (thinking of Spain here), it just makes me nervous and really insecure. Couple that with the fact that B has to stay here and work, and you've got one little ball of stress. So, if any of my travel psychic friends feel the need to reassure me, I'm willing to listen. LOL I guess since my own gut is so incredibly unreliable in regards to me and my safety, and I always have this impending sense of waiting for the other shoe to drop, that I'm extra anxious.
My dad, the psychologist says that anxiety is caused by 'what-if' thinking. He also said that anytime I've got a negative what-if thought (What if the plane gets blown up with me and N on it, and we never see my husband again?), I should think of two very positive what-ifs (What if it's the best flight I've ever been on? What if I really enjoy my trip?), to help cancel it out. I admit, it does help, but I'm still a worrywart.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

There really are tons of bad things happening to babies nowadays. We just have to prevent the very best we can and trust God to do the rest. Actually, we should trust God first and then seek His way to do things, and then follow those ways.

But I digress...

Anxiety - couple of suggestions if you truly are interested. I have troubles sometimes myself (my Dad was a cop and ingrained the 'worst case scenario' mentality into me and my sister at a very young age).

First, Emotional Freedom Techniques are awesomely helpful. Go to www.mercola.com and search EFT. There is a handy guidebook there to teach you how to do it. It's REALLY easy and VERY helpful.

Second, there is a product called PLUS from a company called Mannatech that provides the body with all the nutritional ingredients required by the body to make its own hormones. That means that it doesn't actually give the body hormones but it gives the body what it needs to make whichever hormones it needs. It's AWESOME for helping with anxiety. Stress uses up hormones that are necessary for sanity. If we give our body plenty enough ingredients to replenish those hormones that we used up because of stress, our body doesn't feel so out of kilter. I take 6 PLUS caplets a day while I'm breastfeeding. This is one of those things that I feel confident God intended for us to have because He gave us these ingredients in plants that He designed for us to eat. Problem is, we don't eat enough of these plants anymore!

I truly don't know how anyone (especially Moms) can get by without PLUS. It's an amazing product.

You can go to www.Mannatech.com and find a random distributor but if you're interested, you can go to www.MannaPages.com/stacywalker and see my site :) Yes, I'm a distributor because I want to always have these products for me, my husband, and my 4 kids (and my dog, too actually!). I'd recommend this even if I wasn't a distributor, though :) They're THAT good!