Thursday, November 04, 2004

Discouraged

I'm discouraged by one of my boards. I knew we had some differing opinions, but I thought that one of the things about being open-minded was accepting that some people believe different things, and that that's okay.

I have always operated on the idea that you are supposed to vote for what you believe in. But what about those people who don't believe what you do? Simple. They vote for what they believe in. If more people believe like them, then my candidate's out, and I can try again in four years. There we have one of the things I like about our current system.

As far as my voting my beliefs being considered pushing my morality on someone, isn't someone voting the opposite trying to push their idea of morality on me? Aren't we all just trying to make our country line up with our idea of how things should be?


I have many friends. They are on both sides of all of the issues. Does that make me think they're terrible people? Of course not. Do I disagree with some of their logic and reasoning? Sure. But do I insult them and call them rednecks and ignorant and assume that they are mislead and naive because they don't believe the same way I do? Absolutely not.

What saddens me the most is that on this particular board, it's coming from the people who, if they put their minds and bodies to work on the issues, and stopped bashing people for a while, would be able to effect some major, positive change.

I understand these people are angry, frustrated, and upset. I do not understand why that means they get to suspend their usual talk of love, respect, and acceptance for all, to spew the very hatred they so ardently claim to revile, just because someone else's beliefs are different.

You, too, can call yourself open-minded....as long as you believe what I do.

No comments: