Saturday, July 16, 2005

Harry Potter. :)

H and I went to Barnes and Noble last night to get my copy of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. It was fun. I met the same friends with which I'd gone to the last HP release party, and we made wands and ate cookies. I only had to stand in line for 9 minutes, and I was the 84th person in line. Of course, I'd told B I wanted to take cash. He didn't remember to get it on the way home, so he handed me the debit card. Our debit card hates me. Hates me with a pure fury that only an inanimate piece of plastic can have. It never, and I do mean never works for me. DH can run the card and it sails right on through with approvals left, right, and center. I try to run the card for $19.30 from a bank account that supposedly has $35 and it gets declined. Not once, but three times. @@ Fortunately, a friend stepped in and took care of it for me. I was so upset about it. :/

Anyway, I get home and B checks the bank account and the only thing we can figure out is that he got gas at the grocery store gas pump which routinely overauthorizes credit/debit card purchases. I have no idea why that's even legal, and I think it sucks.


On to other things.

My due date board has begun the inevitable discussion on when to start cereal, which leads me to an astounding leap of logic. A few people have mentioned that their pediatricians have told them to start cereal after the baby is taking more than a certain amount of formula per day (32, for the sake of argument), as they can get too much formula.

Here's where my logic starts to work. I thought the commonly held idea is that formula is adequate nutrition for the first 6 months, and held by some to be just as good as breastmilk. Please explain this to me.

If a child who is taking 34oz of formula per day 'needs' cereal, and the child who is taking 34oz of breastmilk per day does not, then it would seem to follow that formula is not adequate nutrition if the child needs more. Does my logic hold up? It's highly possible that staying up until 5 this morning reading Harry Potter has had a greater influence on my mental acuity than I had anticipated. If so, please ignore my ramblings. If not, then maybe there's something to it.

1 comment:

-h. said...

F you debit card.

Yay for the book.

You're right about the cereal. Again I will spout my mantra:

LOOK AT THE CHILD AND NOT THE CHART.

Is it past six months?
Is your baby thriving on 34 oz of formula?
STOP OVERANALYZING.

When your kid is hungry, they will eat. Trust your instincts, you'll KNOW when your kid is hungry if you just LISTEN to their cues.

::: end of rant :::