Wednesday, September 08, 2004

I neeeeed sleeeeeep

I usually get sleep. But I've lately been staying up way too late online, catching up on my boards, emails, etc. N has been getting up around 9:30-10, which has been great for me. Unfortunately, he's decided that needs to change over the last 2 days. This morning he was up at 7:30 sharp. Not so good. Not only was he up, but he was up and ready to nurse. And nurse now. A lot. I really don't mind nursing this kid, but I'd prefer him to be able to space himself so that I don't wake up already touched out, like I did this morning. We're thinking it may be time to transition to the toddler bed. He sleeps well for the first part of the night in our bed by himself, and after a nursing, goes back to sleep for another long stretch. B insists there's no room in our bedroom for a toddler bed, but the unused crib is still in there, I see no reason why we can't move that out, and put the toddler bed in its place. It will be fine. I just hope N transitions easily and is happy in his new bed before the baby gets here. B is leaving his profession. He's beginning his 5th and final year of teaching, and is looking for something new. I'm combing job websites, and the local one isn't turning up much. We're in an area that's been hit hard by 9/11 as far as jobs go. The aircraft industry is huge here. Really huge. We've got plants for several major manufacturers and all of them have had layoffs over the last few years, so there are a lot of people and not that many jobs. Oddly enough, B can go work for the wireless company I used to work for, and after 6 months as a general rep, can get promoted to a Sr. Rep, with the potential to make about $20k more than he's making now. So not fair. He'd have to put up with a lot of crap, but it would be different crap than he's already dealing with, and it'd at least be crap that doesn't come from bureaucracy. I'm extremely proud of him. B's from a blue-collar family. A very blue-collar family. I don't think I've seen anyone embrace the blue-collarness as much as these people. Rednecks marry into the extended family here. For New Year's we drove up to see B's aunt and her fiance, who spent the day watching the football game, wearing his NASCAR jacket, drinking a Bud, and making sure that his mullet (halfway down his back) and mustache were in good working order. The more immediate ILs are content to sit around and bitch about how life hasn't gone the way they've wanted. Sure, they've had a few crappy things happen, but the main reason things don't get better for them is that they're ignorant and gullible, and perfectly happy to remain so. Blind optimism carries them through life. Yeah, there's a chance that something wonderful will happen and take care of everything for you, but the odds of winning the lottery are slim. FIL is always talking about what he's going to do when he wins the lottery. He's never going to win the lottery, but that doesn't stop him. Really, it's great to be optimistic, but there comes a time when you have to get off your ass and make things happen. That's why I'm so pleased about him leaving teaching. He comes from a long line of optimistic whiners, which has turned him into a pessimistic whiner. He is finally, the first of his family, getting off his can and making something happen. I couldn't be prouder. :)

No comments: