Wednesday, July 07, 2004

I'm free!

First let me say, my son's first birthday is coming up this weekend. I find it appropriate that this particular chapter of my birth experience comes to a close as a time of celebration begins.
As a refresher, my placenta was small. It fit neatly into my cupped hands. It looked reasonably healthy to me, but small--the midwife, however, declared it friable (it did not come apart--her reasoning for this label was that when pressed with a finger, it did not immediately spring back, but did so slowly). The umbilical cord was no bigger than my first finger's width around. It was long enough, but the small cord concerned me. When my original midwife got back into town (having missed the delivery), she basically told me that the condition of the placenta and cord were all my fault, and I had obviously not paid the least bit of attention to diet or my health and wellbeing, and as a result, I had gotten a healthy son by the skin of my teeth. There was more, but that was it in a nutshell.
Anyway, I wanted to know more. I wanted to know if I actually had put my baby at risk, and if this were something I could expect in future pregnancies. I also wanted to know just how much of it was my fault. I don't like guilt if it's unnecessary, and I thought I had done so well with my diet during the pregnancy. So, I did some research. I found several things. Small, friable placentas and/or small cords were found in connection with these things: Thalassemia, smoking in pregnancy, Type 2 Diabetes, IUGR, and Parvo B19 (Fifth's Disease). The first four on the list I did not have any connection with. But I was originally told by my family doctor, after being exposed at work, that Fifth's Disease, if contracted in the first trimester, will result in either nothing happening to the baby, or a miscarriage, so don't worry about it. I apparently caught Fifth's (I don't usually get sick, and it's common for me not to notice when I do, but I did have a low-grade temp) around 7-8 weeks, and I found out later that it can be a cause of IUGR. So, with my findings, I consulted other CPMs, my family doctor, and the CNM I see for well-woman care. Every single one of them agreed that there was nothing I did to cause the placenta and cord to be the way they were. It was just one of those things, and it should not happen again. It's no one's fault. It just happened. I feel, for the first time in a year, that I'm truly able to let go, welcome future children, and know that I had a healthy son because God created me with a body that works!

No comments: