Saturday, July 31, 2004

A weekend with Bridezilla

A few months ago, my friend, hereafter known as Bridezilla, came to me and asked me if I would help coordinate her wedding. I've known her for several years, and she has a 20 month old who likes to play with N. I said I would, but she'd need to make absolutely sure that she kept open communication with me about every detail. I did not realize just how much of a micromanager she is. When there's a big wedding involved, that's usually a good thing--but not if it's the bride. So anyway, plans move along very smoothly. She picks out the flowers, she decides to hold the wedding on July 30th, at 7pm, in the gazebo of a beautiful public park. There's a hint of the "It's my day--all others must bow" attitude in various little things, like when she wanted me to call the park to see if we could get permission to block off the entire parking lot (300 spaces) for her guest. I told her they probably weren't going to allow that, since it was a public park. She then proceeded to tirade for 15 minutes about the indecency of some people to stand on the edges of a wedding in a public place, and watch . Somehow, I think there are worse things. She then asked me to see what I could do to keep people (non-guests) away from the site. I told her it was a public park, and that the overwhelming majority of people know how to behave around weddings, and that I doubted we'd find a bum eating the cake halfway through the ceremony. Still, she stresses over it. I totally understand stressing about things going relatively smoothly, but she had this thing about perfect. Not just smoothly, PER-freaking-FECT. So we go through all of these tiny details, and as the wedding gets closer, she gets crabby and starts snapping at everyone, and behaving as though she's sure we're all out to get her. The Monday before the wedding, she takes me to the flower shop, to double check the flowers and make sure they are all exactly right. No problem there, but she wants me to go by the shop again the morning of the wedding to make sure every single stem is in place (they actually forgot my corsage, but I refused to tell her or make a big deal out of it-all of the other flowers were perfect). The parks department had originally told her (she wanted to handle the initial contact with them) that we couldn't set up for the wedding until 6. She told everyone noon. We got there at noon, with the 160 yards of tulle, the Christmas lights, and duct tape, which she wanted intertwined with ivy and hung up around the top of the 25ft tall gazebo. My pregnant self refused to climb the death-trap, er, ladder, and all of the groom's family (who were decorating under the strict instructions of Bridezilla who wanted things EXACTLY where she specified) decided that they'd rather not risk their necks, so it all got wound around the railings and looked beautiful. Anyway, the ivy had been left back at the groom's apartment, so as we were getting ready to go ahead and twist the tulle and the lights (we'd to the ivy when it got there), when she said that under no circumstances were to think of twisting the lights and tulle without the ivy, so we had to sit and wait for 2 hours for the ivy to get there because she said we couldn't leave. So we set up chairs.....Must go now...more when I return.

No comments: